Dr. Thomas Talos, LL.M. (Virginia)
Thomas Talos is a founding partner of BTP and an expert on M&A, capital markets, corporate law and international gambling law.
He advised the online gambling business bwin in its merger with the British company PartyGaming plc, the first cross-border merger of two listed companies in Europe (transaction value EUR 1.7 billion at closing), and continues to represent the renamed bwin.party group in post-closing transactions. His recent transactions include advising “Ring” International on the acquisition of Helios – listed on the Ljubljana Stock Exchange (transaction volume of over EUR 150 million); Century Casinos on the formation of a joint venture and the application for a casino license in Vienna; and Sportradar AG’s equity fundraising with EQT (EUR 44 million).
Thomas is co-editor of a comprehensive commentary on Austrian EU merger law and co-author of “Social Gaming in Europe.”
Partner at Brandl & Talos (since 2000), lawyer and trainee lawyer in renowned international law firms (1994-2000).
Degrees & Training
University of Vienna, Faculty of Law (Mag. iur. 1991, Dr. iur. 1994), University of Virginia School of Law (LL.M. 1994).
Member of the International Masters of Gaming Law (MGL) and
International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA, Member of the Board of Trustees).
Languages: German, English
- Advised “Ring” International Holding AG, the leading producer of office supplies and industry coatings, on the acquisition of Helios Domžale d.d., a leading manufacturer of paints and coatings in the CEE region listed on the Slovenian Stock Exchange (EUR 150m).
- Advised Sportradar AG on an equity transaction and negotiations with private equity group EQT (EUR 44m).
- Advised bwin.party digital entertainment plc on the conclusion of Joint Venture agreements with Boyd Gaming and Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa in preparation for the online poker market opening in New Jersey (USA).
- Advised bwin.party digital entertainment plc on the conclusion of Divestiture Agreements with two major shareholders.
- Advised bwin.party digital entertainment plc on the acquisition of assets from the social gaming developers Velasco Services Inc. and Orneon Limited (USD 23m).
- Advised Century Casinos Europe GmbH on setting up a joint venture and the application for a casino license at the InterContinental Hotel in Vienna EUR 22m).
- Advised bwin Interactive Entertainment AG on the first cross-border merger between publicly listed companies performed in Europe with Party Gaming plc (EUR 1.8 billion).
- Advised bwin Interactive Entertainment AG on ist acquisition of the leading Italian online poker provider Gioco Digitale SpA against cash and bwin-shares, inclduing a capital increase (EUR 110m).
- Advised “Ring” International Holding AG on the acquisition of all shares in the Czech proOFFICE s.r.o., one of the largest manufacturers of office products made of soft plastic film.
- Advised “Ring” International Holding AG on the acquisition of a majority interest in the Italian Ecopolifix-Group, a producer of powder coatings and market leader for effect coatings.
- Advised bwin Interactive Entertainment AG on the acquisition of Swedish poker company Ongame e-solutions AB (EUR 512 million), the placement of shares by way of an accelerated book building to finance the acquisition (gross proceeds of the fundraising: EUR 268 million), and the closing of a EUR 100 million credit facility with the Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Advised bwin.party group on its re-entry to the US-market and in this context on the conclusion of Joint Venture agreements with Boyd Gaming and Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa in preparation for the online poker market opening in New Jersey (USA).
- Advice to NASDAQ and Vienna listed Century Casinos group on the establishment of a joint venture and a bidding consortium as well as on the filing of a casino license application in the course of the first public tender for a casino license in Austria.
- Advised bwin.party group with license applications in various European countries (inter alia, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Belgium, Schleswig-Holstein)
- Assisting bwin.party group with licensing procedures before the authorities of New Jersey and Nevada (USA).
- Representation in a preliminary ruling procedures before the Court of Justice of the European Union (C-64/08, Engelmann; C-390/12 Pfleger et al)
- Advising the European Betting and Gaming Association (EGBA) in connection with infringement- and state aid proceedings against a number of EU Member States initiated by the European Commission.
- Advised Kalixa group, a payment service provider of the bwin.party Group, on the establishment of a joint venture with the Millicom Group
- Advised Sportradar AG on Partnership with EQT VI, a leading private equity group in Europe.
- Advised Kalixa Payments Ggroup on the Acquisition of PXP Solutions
Recent developments in Austrian gaming law (EN) Journal Article
Glücksspielrecht und freier Dienstleistungsverkehr (DE) Journal Article
Das Kohärenzgebot im Glücksspielsektor (DE) Journal Article
Das Gesellschaftsrechts-Änderungsgesetz 2011 (DE) Journal Article
EuGH kippt österreichisches Glücksspielmonopol (DE) Journal Article