MMag. Dr. Christopher Schrank
Christopher Schrank is partner at BTP and specialises in corporate law, capital markets, white-collar crime and corporate compliance.
He represents numerous clients and executives in corporate litigation and in the context of criminal proceedings regarding alleged market manipulation, falsification of balance sheet, disloyality as well as in proceedings regarding alleged insider trading.
As part of his advice on compliance matters, he supports, inter alia, deterrence measures, implements compliance management systems and provides training.
Christopher Schrank is co-editor of the handbook “Criminal Law for Public Accountants”, co-author of the handbooks “The Managing Director” and “The Supervisory Board” as well as a sought-after speaker at seminars in the areas of white-collar crime and corporate law issues.
Partner at Brandl & Talos (since 2008), lawyer and associate at Brandl & Talos (2001-2008), trainee lawyer in a prestigious international law firm (1998-2000), assistant auditor at an international accounting firm (1997).
Degrees & Training
University of Vienna, Faculty of Law (Mag. iur. 1998, Dr. iur. 2001), Vienna University of Economics, Business Administration (Mag. rer.soc.oec. 1998).
Languages: German, English
- Advised the Austrian National Bank (Oesterreichische Nationalbank – OeNB) in connection with the Bank Intervention and Restructuring Act (“Bank Testament”).
- Representation of a large Austrian insurance company regarding a criminal complaint brought by a customer due to alleged breach oif trust and forcing of provisions.
- Representation of a former officer of a listed company in connection with criminal proceedings regarding alleged insider trading.
- Advised a leasing company on the analysis of internal corporate criminal offenses and subsequent compensation of damages (active repentance).
- Representation of a large Austrian insurance company in a proceeding for damages initiated by a customer regarding alleged forcing of provisions.
- Representation of a former member of the managing board against the Immofinanz Group (Immofinanz, Immoeast, CPB) regarding alleged damages resulting from D&O liability.
- Representation of a former member of the managing board against shareholders’ claims regarding the alleged breach of stock corporation and capital markets rules.
- Representation of a company against a shareholder regarding a claim for payment of the issue price of subscribed shares.
- Representation of an auditor in various proceedings regarding the auditing of in-kind contributions in the course of contributing companies into a publicly listed company.
- Advice to Kalixa Payment Group regarding online payment contracts.
- Representation of a former managing director in the Alpine-criminal proceedings, inter alia, regarding breach of trust and falsification of balance sheets.
- Advised bwin Interactive Entertainment AG on the acquisition of Swedish poker company Ongame e-solutions AB (EUR 512 million), the placement of shares by way of an accelerated book building to finance the acquisition (gross proceeds of the fundraising: EUR 268 million), and the closing of a EUR 100 million credit facility with the Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Advised an Austrian bank on outsourcing their leasing business and the related issuance of subordinated loans (EUR 50m).
- Advised an Austrian real estate company and a major reseller on the emission of two corporate bonds and special dividend rights. (Substanzgenussrechte).
- Advised an Austrian real estate company on the emission of two corporate bonds and special dividend rights (Substanzgenussrechte).
- Advised Hypo Alpe-Adria-Bank AG in selected areas on selling the bank to Anadi Financial Holdings Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Redevco group on selling more than 70 retail and office properties in 7 European countries (EUR 500m).
- Advice to Betbull Holding SE on corporate law issues, including the conversion from a British plc to a Societas Europea (SE) and relocation from the UK to Austria.
- Advised bwin Interactive Entertainment AG on ist acquisition of the leading Italian online poker provider Gioco Digitale SpA against cash and bwin-shares, inclduing a capital increase (EUR 110m).
- Advised bwin Interactive Entertainment AG on the first cross-border merger between publicly listed companies performed in Europe with Party Gaming plc (EUR 1.8 billion).
- Advised a large bank in connection with clarifying numerous internal and external criminal offenses.
- Advised Kalixa Payment Group, a worldwide leading payment provider, on a Europe-wide cooperation with MasterCard in the prepaid segment.
- Advising Biovertis AG, an Austrian biotechnology coampany, on several financing rounds, the introduction of a new stock option program and related questions of corporate law.
- Comprehensive advice on corporate law issues to Update Software AG, a company listed in the General Standard segment of the German Stock Exchange.
- Advised Betbull Holding SE, an operator of licensed gambling activities, on the sale of all ist affiliated companies
- Erstellen eines Compliance-Kataloges (“Verhaltenskodex”) für die in Österreich ansässigen Unternehmen eines international tätigen Konzerns
- Analyse und Aufarbeitung von strafbaren Abläufen einer führenden österreichischen Privatbank samt Anleitung zur Tätigen Reue und Präventionsberatung zur Vermeidung derartiger Strafrechtsverstöße
- Beratung zahlreicher Banken, Wertpapierfirmen, Wertpapierdienstleistungsunternehmen und Versicherungsunternehmen beim Umsetzen von aufsichtsrechtlichen Bestimmungen (Compliance, interne Revision, Bekämpfung der Geldwäscherei und Terrorismusfinanzierung)
- Beratung einer Großbank iZm mit der Aufarbeitung zahlreicher interner und externer Strafrechtsverstöße
- Beratung einer Leasinggesellschaft bei der Analyse von unternehmensinternen Strafrechtsverstößen und der anschließenden Schadenswiedergutmachung (Tätige Reue)
- Präventionsberatung von Banken und Wertpapierdienstleistungsunternehmen bei drohender Anzeigenerstattung;
- Entwicklung von Muster-Emittenten Compliance Codes für an der Wiener Börse gelistete Unternehmen
- Representation of an Austrian bank in criminal proceedings regarding breach of trust, fraud and embezzlement.
- Advised an international purchasing group on legal issues regarding the business model and representation in preliminary investigation proceedings.
- Representation of an issuer in connection with alleged violations of the penal provisions in the Capital Markets Act (public offer without capital markets prospectus).
- Representation of banks and banking executives in the context of criminal proceedings regarding alleged market manipulation and breach of trust.
Internal Investigations: Wenn der Aufsichtsrat ermittelt (DE) Journal Article
Marktmanipulation durch Statements, Interviews und Tweets (DE) Journal Article
Richtiges Verhalten bei Hausdurchsuchungen (DE) Journal Article
Hausdurchsuchung – Der Kampf ums Handy (DE) Miscellaneous
Update Bilanzdelikte (DE) Miscellaneous
Untreue Zurück zur Vernunft (DE) Miscellaneous
Strafbefreiung im Verwaltungsstrafverfahren (DE) Miscellaneous